Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Due to the impacts of Coronavirus (COVID-19) our West End Project contractors Eurovia will be closing down the main sites of Gower Street and Princes Circus starting from Monday 30th March.
Following a review of working practices on site. The West End Project contractor Eurovia has determined it is impracticable to be able to maintain the 2m distancing guideline set by the government. For the safety of their site personal they have now withdrawn all staff except for a skeleton crew to maintain safety on site.
Over the next week they will be backfilling to make all areas safe and then all work will stop. Barriers will remain around areas on Princes Circus but all other areas will be cleared. All resurfacing works have been cancelled until further notice.
The area will continue to be monitored by a small team on site and the 24 hour contact number and email address will still be active should you need to get in touch.
This pause will have an effect on the programme and updates will be added to the website as the full impact becomes clear. At present our enclosed site at Whitfield Gardens run by Idverde will continue, but this is being monitored daily.
Work this week includes:
- All trial hole sites on Gower Street will be backfilled and made safe by the end of Saturday 4th April.
- The deep drainage works are being paused on New Oxford Street. Here the team will reinstate the tarmac and aim to have this completed by the Tuesday 31st March.
- At Princes Circus barriers will remain around the sites which cannot be closed including by the Shaftesbury Theatre development area.
Tottenham Court Road
- Whitfield Gardens construction is continuing which includes removing the old paving and furniture. The roots of the trees have been protected and restoration of the mural has begun.
- Due to impacts of Coronavirus the work to restore the mural has been paused and will be rescheduled.
- Tottenham Street is closed between Whitfield Street and Tottenham Court Road from February 14th – June 26th.
Parking bays on Whitfield Street have been suspended and the entire area will be fenced off throughout the works.
Whitfield Gardens is being transformed by our contractor idverde whose working hours are Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm and Sat 8am to 1pm. Global Street Arts company will also be restoring the Fitzrovia Mural during these times.