TOTTENHAM COURT NOW HAS TWO WAY TRAFFIC
LOOK BOTH WAYS WHEN CROSSING THE ROAD
Check the new bus routes and journey information via the Transport for London website.
Resurfacing work across the area will involve multiple road closures – more information here: Resurfacing works 2020
Additional road closures – diversion routes will be in place:
- Tottenham Street between Whitfield Street and Tottenham Court Road will be closed from February 14th – June 26th
- Bucknall Street junction with Bloomsbury Street / Shaftesbury Avenue closed. Access only to Bucknall Street
- Capper Street and Bayley Street junction with Tottenham Court Road closed permanently from the 18th November for the new pocket parks cycle access only
- Shaftesbury Avenue northbound between High Holborn and Bloomsbury Street/New Oxford Street from the 7th November till end of February 2020
- No right turn from Shaftesbury Avenue onto St Giles High Street – diversions are in place
- The area of Shaftesbury Avenue between Sovereign House to Grape Street can be accessed by Grape Street from High Holborn.
- Information on resurfacing work: Resurfacing works 2020
- NOTE – There will be a closure of New Oxford Street on the 26th April for the Medius House redevelopment to facilitate a large crane operation – this is unrelated to our project.
- We are laying new York stone paving to the area around Monmouth Street. Starting around the junction of Monmouth Street and Shaftesbury Avenue, the next section will be around the junction of Monmouth Street and Neal Street and then we will pave from Neal Street north along Shaftesbury Avenue working from south to north.
- Please note that we are awaiting the curved kerb blocks for around the entrance to Neal Street so we will be temporary tarmacking this area until they arrive in April so not to delay the paving works.
- We have a working compound on Shaftesbury Avenue to support the works in the area
- A lane closure is in place on High Holborn into Shaftesbury Avenue in addition to Bloomsbury Street and outside the Church to work on the next stage of drainage
Bucknall Street will be closed at the junction with Shaftesbury Avenue for deep drainage work. Bucknall Street will be access only via New Oxford Street/Dyott Street and then exit via Earnshaw Street, New Oxfod Street.
Road closures and diversions in place to support the Shaftesbury Theatre development:
- Closing Shaftesbury Avenue northbound between High Holborn and Bloomsbury Street/New Oxford Street from the 7th November until February 2020
- Closing the junction of Dyott Street and Shaftesbury Avenue from the 7th November until February 2020
- Reducing the number of southbound lanes on Shaftesbury Avenue between Bloomsbury Street/New Oxford Street and High Holborn.
- The area of Shaftesbury Avenue between Sovereign House to Grape Street is accessible from Grape Street accessing from High Holborn
In order to undertake some work on installing TfL signals we will be undertaking the following road closures:
- 17/2/20 – 22/2/20: two lanes closed eastbound on New Oxford Street around the junction with Bloomsbury Street. Diversions will be in place.
- 24/2/20 – 29/2/20: bus lane suspended and one eastbound lane suspended around the junction with Bloomsbury Street
- 2/3/20 – 7/3/20: bus lane suspended and one eastbound lane suspended around the junction with Bloomsbury Street
During all these closures no traffic will be permitted to turn from Bloomsbury Street into New Oxford Street. Diversions will be in place.
St Giles Circus (Centre Point)
- The paving to the main square is now completed, we now working at the following location completing new paving: Earnshaw Street junction with Denmark Street.
- Information on resurfacing work: Resurfacing works 2020
- Drainage works ongoing near Great Russell Street this will involve the closure of one lane of traffic.
- Paving and cycle lane works south of Bedford Avenue and Great Russell Street now started on the eastern side
- Trial holes in various locations with short pedestrian diversions
- Note the Eurovia compound is based on Bedford Square.
Tottenham Court Road
Work to build the first of the pocket parks on Tottenham Court Road has begun at Capper Street. The junction of Capper Street and Tottenham Court Road is now permanently closed to traffic.
- Whitfield Gardens construction has started. This includes the closure of Tottenham Street between Whitfield Street and Tottenham Court Road from February 14th – June 26th.
Parking bays on Whitfield Street have been suspended and the entire area will be fenced off throughout the works.
Whitfield Gardens will be transformed by our contractor idverde whose working hours will be Mon-Fri 8am to 5pm and Sat 8am to 1pm. Global Street Arts company will also be restoring the Fitzrovia Mural during these times.
Cycle lane - Tottenham Court Road / Howland Street
Thank you for your patience while we made changes to improve how the lane operated. This has included working with Transport for London to remove the cyclist push button and replace this with a sensor which will recognise approaching bikes and automatically change the lights. We have also made changes to the layout of the cycle lane to make it easier for cyclists to use.
During August we trialled the cycle lane and although the lane was fully approved by the independent safety auditors, we were uncomfortable with the number of cyclists not using the lane correctly.
In early October we again trialled the reopening of the cycle lane complete with further changes. We worked alongside a compliance team from Transport for London to provide an onsite presence, warning cyclists of the danger of ignoring red signals.
The lane has been closed again while we analyse the data from the trial.
We will continue to work with Transport for London and others to open this facility on a permanent basis as soon as possible, as long as it is safe to do so.